If you spend time entertaining guests and cooking, the last thing you want is for your garbage disposal to give out. Before you go sticking your hand down the drain to look for a solution, leave the garbage disposal repairs to the professionals. Electric and plumbing don’t always mix, but when it comes to your garbage disposal, they work in perfect unison to provide you with a convenient way to get rid of waste. At Green Hills Plumbing we aim to keep your home comfortable, which is why we offer quality garbage disposal services including installations and repairs. Let our plumbing contractors help you keep your kitchen in top shape.
Save on new garbage disposal installation with our coupons and specials.
4 Common Causes of Garbage Disposal Failure
Once you know what may cause your garbage disposal to break down, you can more easily avoid these issues. Some of the more common causes for a garbage disposal failure include:
- Age of the Unit: Like most appliances, garbage disposals have a shelf life. If your garbage disposal is old and struggling to keep up with the demands of your cooking habits, a new one may be needed.
- Electrical Failures: Garbage disposals are electrical and mechanical in nature, which is why faulty wiring or damaged electrical connections are a common cause for a system that won’t work properly.
- Severe Clogs: There are some things you shouldn't wash down your kitchen sink. Whether it’s chicken skin, coffee grinds, or even bones, these same materials can prevent your blades from spinning at all.
- Poor Installation: A garbage disposal installation should always be left to the professionals. If a system is installed incorrectly, is the wrong choice for your home, or simply is not the highest quality part, you may be leading yourself to a headache in the future.
At Green Hills Plumbing we are your garbage disposal service company. When your system fails, we’ll be there to help you get it back up and running. Best of all, we can also help you with garbage disposal replacement, if your system is too severely damaged.
When Should You Call a Plumber?
If you’re on the fence as to whether or not you should call a plumber, don’t stick your hand down the drain to see if you can fix the problem. Instead take the smarter route and call a professional. Some of the more common signs of the need for garbage disposal repairs are:
- Foul smells
- Constant clogs
- High energy costs
- Weird noises
- Grinding on the blades
- Disposal turns on and off
- DIsposal doesn’t turn on at all
- Inability to grind kitchen debris
While most garbage disposal issues can easily be repaired, in some instances new installations may be required. Our professional plumbers are trained to work with electricity and water safely, and can easily perform garbage disposal installation services in your home. As an added bonus, we can even help you find a unit that works for your home needs, ensuring your complete satisfaction with our services.
Don’t just take our word for it. Visit our reviews page and let our past work speak for itself.