During the month of August, we have time to focus on the things that keep us and our loved ones healthy because it’s National Wellness Month. A lot of things go into keeping us healthy, including the air we breathe, the food we eat, the water we drink and cook with.
In this article, we’d like to focus on the importance of water safety and how our water directly impacts our health. We’ll discuss plumbing services, water filters, and water leaks and how they tie in with water safety.
How Various Plumbing Services Have Contributed to Our Clean Water
Prior to indoor plumbing, we often had to travel long distances and jump through daily hoops just to obtain clean water.
This could take a large chunk out of the day and severely limit cooking, cleaning, drinking, and bathing opportunities.
Thankfully, due to modern plumbing, the convenience of quick and regular access to clean water is essential to the functionality of society.
The Importance of Water Filters to Clean Water
One of the most vital inventions that contribute greatly to our access to clean water is water filters. There are different ways to filter water and we’d like to discuss a few of the most popular ones you'll find in your home:
- Activated Carbon Filter - When you activate the carbon in charcoal it can be used to trap pollutant molecules within its pores, thus removing it from the water.
- Activated Alumina Filter - This filter is comprised of aluminum oxide, and when activated it can help to remove arsenic, fluoride, and selenium from the water.
- Ceramic Filter - These filters are treated with silver in order to prevent mold and algae from growing in the water.
- Ultraviolet Filter - UV is used in this process to kill all living microorganisms within the water.
- Reverse Osmosis Filter - A small membrane with pores filters the water that runs through it. Pollutants are flushed and clean water remains.
Many people will also use small individualized filter systems to clean their drinking water, such as an attachable faucet filter, water pitcher filters, countertop filters, under sink filters, and showerhead filters.
Water Leaks Can Cause Safety Issues
Not only does consuming unclean water cause health problems but various safety issues can also be caused by water as well. The first thing that probably comes to your mind when you think water safety is swimming - but it’s not just this! There are various risks presented by water that should be considered when trying to remain safe and healthy; namely water leaks. Here are a few of the main ones:
- Leaky water problems can cause structural damage to homes and become a hazard.
- Water leaks can lead to mold, which can exacerbate health problems.
- Standing water from leaks can lead to mold, mildew, and damage problems.
In close, plumbing is one of the most important technological advancements in our history. It has given us the ability to access clean water safely and quickly. However, it’s also important that your water is properly filtered within your home and that you are mindful of other potential safety issues.
If you feel you need your plumbing assessed to ensure it’s safe or if you have a current issue you need to be repaired, call Green Hills Plumbing at (615) 383-3339. Any of our licensed and experienced plumbing technicians would love to come out and ensure everything is in proper working order.